This Adventurous Age

Adventures travelling and working around Australia.

2003 Travels April 8

Leave a comment

TUESDAY 8 APRIL     HOME TO YEA     80kms.

We have never been known for early starts on the first day of a trip, but today had to set a record that, hopefully, will never be beaten!

Left home at 5pm.

It was a surprise that we got away at all, this day.

Yesterday, John completed most of his building work on the cot and change table. I’d worked on Sunday and yesterday, thoroughly rubbing linseed oil into them, and then applying a coat of sealer over that. The finishing touches were completed about 11am this morning! The cot and change table would be picked up and shipped by professional removalists, to Canberra – which daughter was arranging. (Later, because her work involved moving her belongings overseas, she had the items valued. We were amazed that the cot alone was valued at over $2000! An endorsement of John’s work)

Resize of 03-21-2003 assembling sarahs cot.jpg

John then cleaned up his shed, located and packed the camping gear, his extra tools and the like. The packing of Truck came together really quickly. Room was made and my Barina car was moved up through the backyard and into the shed.

John took truck to fill up at the local servo – 97cpl. He also filled the 23 litre jerry can of spare fuel that we carry.

I’d done the van packing well in advance, whilst John was woodworking, and yesterday cooked chicken maryland pieces to go in the fridge for tea, our first night on the road.

I think we needed to feel that we were actually on the move, before something else intervened. 80kms was better than none!

We travelled our usual route north over the Great Dividing Range, to Yea, arriving there just as dusk was falling. We took an overnight site at the Yea Family Caravan Park, that allowed us to stay hitched up. $18.

We ate the pre-cooked chicken I’d made yesterday, with some coleslaw – also pre-prepared.

The night turned really cold. Winter had come early to Victoria.

I thought our house sitter – L – was really surprised that we actually managed to leave today. She had been back at uni for weeks by now, and living in the back part of the house, sharing the kitchen – an arrangement that worked well. She’d watched the recent rather frantic activity with some bemusement. She said she would – kind-of – miss us, as she had enjoyed having people to come home to, and would be a bit lonely again, at first.

Resize of 03-21-2003 cot and luise

L checking out the finished cot

I hoped the two cats would still be alive when we got home again – they were getting so old.

After all our original lovely plans, we now had about a week to get to to Adels Grove, in time to work over Easter. Via Canberra, so John could meet his first grandchild.

Resize of 04-08-2003 to y

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s