This Adventurous Age

Adventures travelling and working around Australia.

2000 Travels July 18

Leave a comment


It was another hot day.

We were up at 6.30 again, and away two hours later, after topping up our water containers.

We drove into Miners Pool to have a look – 3.5kms from the main road. It was a much bigger camp area than I remembered, strung alongside the waterhole, and with pit toilets. It would have been a fairly pleasant place to stay, after all.

The Kalumburu road was still closed to vehicles over 7 tonnes, beyond Drysdale River HS, and was listed as 4WD only. It is usually later to open than the main Gibb River Road, and also later to be graded.

We encountered several muddy sections of road. After going through one of these, there was much grinding from under Truck. We stopped, looked, drove it back and forth a few times. John decided the noise was coming from the left rear wheel. He jacked Truck up and took off the wheel. The shaped metal plate that protects the brake was buckled and rubbing on the wheel. The bolt area was still attached, so part of it had just torn off! John took it off to stop it rubbing any more and ensured what was left was clear of the wheel.  He buckled a bit of the Truck frame using the jack – did not have it in at the right angle.

07-18-2000 01 nasty noise in wheel.jpg

Having some difficulties – checking out the noise from the wheel (and losing shorts!)

We passed the turn off to the Mitchell Plateau and continued on to Theda Station, through some Livistona palm stands. Mostly we passed through typical Kimberley savanna scrub and woodlands.

The road was great in sections, corrugated and dusty in others. It was not fast driving. There was very little traffic.

We reached Theda at lunchtime. There were two other travellers’ vehicles there, having tyres repaired.

The Theda person said we could bush camp at their Turtle Pool site, for $14 a night, but it was only available for four nights. Their other dispersed camp sites were not available as the tracks were still too cut up. The tracks to Worriga Gorge and King Edward Falls, that we’d read about and thought of driving, were still inaccessible – but we could do their Bradshaw art tour for $55 each! Hmmm – we would need to think about that.

He also said that a large freshie croc lived in Turtle Pool!

I bought magnets and postcards.

We drove out to Turtle Pool, about 7kms away, crossing the Morgan River, which was shallow at the ford and not very wide. The track was rather basic.

07-18-2000 morgan river at track ford.jpg

Morgan River,  taken as we forded it

07-18-2000 03 track to Turtle Pool camp.jpg

The track to Turtle Pool

We set up the big tent, in a shaded part of a clearing, not far from the river, then had lunch.

John had a sleep for a while, then he fished. Caught a couple of little somethings – bait?

I went for a walk, exploring along the river for a little distance. Turtle Pool was a lovely, long, wide stretch of the Morgan River – it was a serene spot.

Tea was the last of the corned beef, potato, some salad.

It cooled down really quickly once the sun set. We discovered that there were mozzies here!

John took the lamp and went off to fish, which left me with nothing to do except sit and stare into the darkness! Even with light, I have found the evenings a bit boring – miss having books to read.

Eventually the moon rose.

John returned with no fish. We turned in. There were lots of night noises – splashes from the pool, night insects – but we slept well.

07-18-2000 to theda

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s